Can I create mbtiles map file for IrisBG Handheld using ArcMAP
Warning. This is unfortunately relatively techy and it is why we produce mbtiles for our users as part of the IrisBG map hosting service. However, if you would like to dig into this yourself, here are the details: 🙂
You can create mbtiles by following these two steps:
- Create a tile package from ArcMap.
- Convert the tile package to an MBTiles file using tpkutils (ArcGIS Tile Package Utilities).
Before you start, download the IrisBG mbtiles tools from this link: https://www.irisbg.com/setup/irisbg_mbtiles_tools.zip. Copy the content to a dedicated folder, such as C:\mbtilesconvert\.
How to create a tile package in ArcMap.
- Make sure that the map follows the Web Mercator Projection (EPSG: 3857).
- Check the Map Extent and only include a map area that is strictly relevant for the App.
- When you produce a tile package, make sure you include sufficient zoom levels for detail, but don’t be too greedy either. 😉 Zoom level 20 or 21 is normally sufficient. For an Arboretum, 19 might be sufficient. Use jpg for satellite maps, otherwise png. The standard tile schema provided by Esri will not give you sufficient details. Use the ArcGIS_IrisBG_TilingScheme.xml scheme, found in the download above, which will give you much more details.
- To produce a tile package from ArcMap, follow this guide : http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/map/working-with-arcmap/how-to-create-a-tile-package.htm.
How to configure the mbtiles converter (ArcGIS Tile Package Utilities).
- Install GIT on your windows computer: https://git-scm.com/download/win
- Ensure Python 2.7 is in place. The scripts in the download assume you have this in the ArcGIS 10.5 folder.
- Install the TPK utility package from command prompt.
Example : C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.5\Scripts>pip install git+https://github.com/consbio/tpkutils.git –upgrade
- change the batch file if necessary. C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.5\python.exe C\mbtilesconvert\MbTilesConvert.py %1
More details about the “ArcGIS Tile Package Utilities”: https://github.com/consbio/tpkutils
How to convert tpk files to mbtiles
You can now drop tpk files onto the batch file to convert.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.