Import data safely and securly, including:
- Taxa and Genera
- Common Names
- Taxon Themes
- Accession items
- Accession images
- Accession library references
- Accession Permits
- Library records
Here are some of the key features you will find in the Data Import
- All data will be verified by the system to ensure that the integrity of your database will be retained.
- Details about erroneous data are given, enabling you to correct the data efficiently.
- Records can be added or updated. A built-in logic will deduce if data are to be added or if you are updating existing information.
- Multi-lingual data can be updated using langauge specific column names:
- German Taxon description: TaxonDescr_de.
- Support for Excel spread sheets, comma-delimited and tab-delimited text files.
- Support for importing data using the command line tool Iris3Task.exe.
Prepare Data using the IrisBG Excel Add-in
The IrisBG Excel Add-in is part of the IrisBG Office Add-in’s package which includes a set of productivity tools to help you prepare data for import and process exported data (reports/plant labels). For more details, visit the IrisBG Office Add-in page.
The IrisBG Office Add-in's are available free of charge.
Run Automatic Data Imports at Regular Intervals
IrisBG Batch Jobs is a software tool to configure regular system tasks such as importing data and uploading data to IrisBG Garden Explorer.
In addition to importing files automatically, IrisBG Batch Jobs can also load data from a database and convert this to a CSV file to be imported directly into IrisBG.
When a Batch Job has finished, the software can be configured to send out email notification to a list of recipients.
For more details, visit the IrisBG Batch Jobs page.
The IrisBG Batch Jobs software is available free of charge to all IrisBG users.
Data Import versus Data Migration
Although versatile, the Data Import module has limitations when it comes to handling complex data structures and was not designed to import a complete plant collection database. However, using the Data Import Module to populate a new IrisBG database can in some cases be achieved without too many difficulties. This depends on the complexity and quality of your dataset. We are happy to give advice on the best approach.
- Certain data is not supported by the Data Import Module amd must be in place before you start. This includes garden locations, contacts, plant status codes, families, etc.
- Taxa and genera are automatically added. Consequently, a misspelled taxon will become a new taxon, so it is very important to check the import screen before you accept the data into the system. We can supply APG III families and higher taxa with new the databases. In addition, regional genera lists are also available for some regions.
- Importing planting history has to be done in stages, one step at a time in reverse order.
- Please note that if you import a large dataset with many mistakes, it can be time consuming to correct the errors.
Data Migration is a service we provide to transfer existing data over to a new IrisBG installation. In addition to moving all your data over, we also carry out data laundry if necessary, such as removing duplicate taxa, cross checking name spelling, etc. We also offer the option to supply relevant APG III classification above genus and to map your existing genera to family according to APG III.
Keep in mind that a spread sheet can only handle one dimension of data. Spread sheets that have been used for a while can often contain the same data multiple times and multiple values in the same cell. These type of spread sheets has to be analysed, cleaned and decoupled into separate datasets. A process that can be very time consuming.
Read more about our Data Migration Service.
Using Data Import in IrisBG - click to view our video tutorial showing you how to use the Data Import module (Watch other IrisBG tutorials) .
Watch a recording of our February 2017 Q&A webinar where we walk through a data import example.
Watch other IrisBG videos.